Cough is very common problem which generally occurs along with common cold. It is a type of irritation that occurs in throat. There are two types of cough one dry cough and other cough with mucus. It is not a severe disease but if ignored it can result in severe damage but it can be treated by some easily found home remedies for cough.
Causes of Cough
1. Common cold
4. Seasonal weather changes
5. Close exposure to pets
6. Post nasal drip
7. Respiratory tract infection
Home Remedies for Cough
Home Remedies For Dry Cough
The following are certain home remedies which are useful for curing dry coughing in children as well as adults.
1. Often, something as simple and basic as a hot shower can help in lessening the irritation caused by dry cough. Standing under a hot water shower for a good 10 – 15 minutes and inhaling the steam can help in moistening your throat and reducing the inflammation.
2. Gargling is another option for getting relief from a case of sore throat and dry cough. Mix a little bit of salt in a glass of warm water and gargle as many times as required. However, make sure that the water is not too hot, or else it may burn the inner lining of your throat and result in further soreness.
3. Drink enough water. It helps in keeping your throat hydrated and reduces coughing significantly. For added measure, make sure that the water is slightly warm. Adding a spoonful of honey to your glass of water is also a good idea.
4. Lozenges are a good household solution to the problem of dry coughing. Keep one in your mouth and suck it from time to time so that it keeps your throat moist and lubricated. As an alternative, you could also substitute it with some chewing gum or mint candy.
5. Ginger root is extremely helpful as a dry cough remedy. You can make use of it in two ways. One way is to peel off the skin of a small piece of ginger and keep it in the corner of your mouth. Suck it from time to time and you will notice that its juice helps in relieving the soreness in your throat. The other alternative is to extract the juice from a couple of pieces of ginger and mix them with some honey and lemon. Mix the potion well and drink a spoonful as many as times a day as needed.
6. Turmeric powder when mixed with a glass of hot milk, helps in soothing your throat and curbing the urge to cough. For best results, mix a teaspoon of turmeric powder to a large glass of milk and boil the mixture well so that the turmeric powder mixes thoroughly with the milk. This is an effective solution for treating dry cough in children.